- Rental and Lease Forms
- All Letter Templates
- Cover Letters
- Writing Guides
- Letter Writing Infographics
Excuse Letter Sample- How to Write an Excuse Letter. An excuse letter is a letter that is sent to a boss, teacher, or other authorities that contains an explanation regarding absences during work, school or other things. There could be quite a number of reasons for an absence, it could be for medical reasons, religion, or you suddenly came down with a cold. A letter of excuse could serve the purpose of excusing a person from something. For example, Bob is advised not to participate in a sports of festival due to asthma. For excuse letters due to medical matters, it should be accompanied with the appropriate documents, medical certificate or doctor’s prescription.
Writing letters, reports, notes, among other things, are important skills for business and personal life. Good letters will yield nothing but good results. Most often than not, people assess others by the quality of their writing, hence it’s essential to write well. Here are some simple tips in writing an excuse letter to get you started:
• Use short sentences. Sentences that contains more than fifteen words could lessen the clarity of what you’re trying to convey. After drafting it, seek out commas and make full use of pauses in between long sentences, and replace with full-stops. Avoid using technical terms unless it is necessary.
• In your excuse letter, you should lay out the details in a brief and straightforward manner. You should avoid including unnecessary information.
• Attach the necessary documents that will prove your excuse like a medical certificate or any other legal document. Do not forget to mention the aforementioned attached document to the letter.
• After that, you should also include a request or offer to catch up to any missed work, lectures or deadlines.
• End the excuse letter with words that express gratitude, respect and a signature.
Having a good business letter format or letter template as a guide can be very helpful. Download a free excuse letter sample, then edit to suit your needs. It’s a great way to get you started in the right direction.