- All Letter Templates
- Cover Letters
- Writing Guides
- Letter Writing Infographics
Explanation Letter Sample – How to write a letter of explanation.
An explanation letter is a letter that gives an explanation and an apology regarding a mistake committed. With regards to employment matters, an explanation letter will serve the purpose of explaining your circumstances to your employer. For example, you might need to explain your criminal background to your employer when you’re applying for a job. A letter of explanation is also used when you’re applying for loans. There are times where some things are unexplainable in your loan files and the bank would require you to fill in the gaps of the information. This is where the letter of explanation comes in, the information you’re going to fill in will be in the form of this letter.
Writing letters, reports, notes, among other things, are important skills for business and personal life. Good letters will yield nothing but good results. Most often than not, people assess others by the quality of their writing, hence it’s essential to write well. Here are some simple tips in writing an explanation letter to get you started:
• To start your letter, begin with a greeting and the date on which you’re writing the letter.
• In your explanation letter, be as specific as you can get, putting in accurate dates and amount of money. Maintain a polite and respectful tone throughout the letter.
• Additionally, you should state the methods and steps you have taken in order to prevent future mistakes. Don’t forget to put emphasis that the experience has changed you and you’re a different person now.
• Consequently, if your contact should request them, you should include legal documents that reinforce your explanation or that is needed like for example, proof of purchase, cancelled checks, etc.
Having a good business letter format or letter template as a guide can be very helpful. Download a free explanation letter sample, then edit to suit your needs. It’s a great way to get you started in the right direction.