- All Letter Templates
- Cover Letters
- Writing Guides
- Letter Writing Infographics
Cover Letter Format- How to Write a Cover Letter. A cover letter is a written document that is sent along with your resume that talks about additional information regarding your skills and experience. If you want to be considered for a position, then it is essential to write an application letter. This letter provides a detailed explanation as to why you are qualified for the job you are applying for. Additionally, it also highlights past achievements and puts out a request for a personal meeting with the potential employer. If you’re able to present an effective cover letter, it could increase your chances of being considered even though you have a weak resume. Basically, a cover letter could make the difference in obtaining a job interview or having your resume put in the back burner.
Writing letters, reports, notes, among other things, are important skills for business and personal life. Good letters will yield nothing but good results. Most often than not, people assess others by the quality of their writing, hence it’s essential to write well. Here are some simple tips for writing cover letters to get you started:
• One thing to know about cover letters is that it should not be a copy-and-paste of your resume. Instead it should expand your resume, explaining the facts written there and written in your own way.
• The things that should be included in a cover letter are; the position you’re applying for, reasons for your qualification, skills you have that you can offer, and gratitude for being considered for the job.
• There are five basic yet essential elements to a cover letter which are greeting, opening, hook, skills and closing. In these elements, you’ll need to effectively introduce yourself, your achievements and your skills that you can offer to the employer.
• Other than things to include in your letter, there are also things not to include. After you’ve written your cover letter, check it for typos and factual errors. Additionally, it would be better to not use “I” too much. It’s also best not to mention your other job applications you filed for other companies for it discourages employers to consider you.
Having a good business letter format or letter template as a guide can be very helpful. Download a free cover letter format sample, then edit to suit your needs. It’s a great way to get you started in the right direction.